Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) Yellow Cake Mix
- ¾ Cup (6 oz.) Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 (11 oz.) can Mandarin Oranges, drained
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 (32 oz.) container Regular Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese – not low fat.
- 1 (8 oz.) package Regular Cream Cheese, softened – not low fat.
- 1 tsp. Spice Bouquet Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- ¼ Cup Miniature Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted Butter or 3 Tablespoons Margarine, softened
- 3 tbsp. Regular Whole Milk
- 1 ¾ Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- ¾ tsp. Spice Bouquet Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 10-12 whole from jar Cherries, rinsed and dried off
Method of Preparation:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix the Yellow cake mix, the vegetable oil, the eggs and the drained mandarin oranges in a large bowl with an electric mixer at Medium speed until well blended – about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. (Layers will be thin) Bake at 350° F. for 23 to 25 minutes – or – until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes; then take a regular kitchen knife and run it around the inside of the cake tins to be sure the cakes are released. Place a wire rack on top of each cake pan, invert it, and tap it. The cake should release easily from the can onto the wire rack. Let the cakes cool completely on the racks for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at Low speed, beat and blend the Ricotta cheese, the cream cheese, and the vanilla extract, and Confectioner’s Sugar until smooth. Stir the ¼ cup of Mini Chocolate chips into the blend.
- In a small bowl, with the mixer at Medium speed, beat the 3 Tbsp. of softened butter or margarine, the 3 Tbsp. of regular milk, the 1 ¾ C of Confectioners’ Sugar, and the ¾ tsp. of Vanilla Extract until the blend is smooth. If necessary, add a little more regular milk until the mixture has an easy spreading consistency.
- In a large bowl, using the same beaters and the mixer at Medium speed; beat the two (2) Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the Confectioners’ Sugar mixture into the whipped cream gently.
- Place one cake round on a cake plate. Spread a generous amount of the filling (about half) on the bottom cake round. Spread the filling out evenly over the entire cake.
- Place the second layer on top of the filling.
- Spread a generous amount of the filling on the second layer. Spreading out the filling to the edges of the cake. You want the filling to be thick. Place the 3rd layer cake on top of the filling.
- Spread the frosting mix generously over the top and down the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the Cannoli Cake until the filling is firm – about 3 hours.
- Just before you serve the Cannoli Cake, place the whole Cherries, rinsed and dried off, evenly spaced around the top of the cake near the outside border.
Yield: 12 servings
- 8 oz. Filet of Salmon
- 1 tbsp. Spice Bouquet Blackening Seasoning (to coat)
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Method of Preparation:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and pre-heat your cast iron frying pan or a saute’ pan on top of the stove to medium high. Thinly coat the heated saute’ pan with the Carita’ Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Coat one side of the salmon with half of the Spice Bouquet Blackening Seasoning. Place the seasoned side of the salmon face down on the heated frying pan. Then coat the top side of the salmon with the other half of the seasoning while the Salmon is in the pan.
- Pan sear the coated filet of Salmon on top of the stove for about 2 minutes per side to achieve the blackened crust, then place the pan in the pre-heated oven for 7 minutes until the Salmon is fully cooked.
- When done, the Salmon should flake easily when tested with a fork. Baking times in the oven will vary depending on the thickness and density of the fish. Do not over cook.
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 boneless & skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontilly (i.e. 4 cutlets)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. Spice Bouquet California Sea Salt – or- regular table salt
- ¼ tsp. Spice Bouquet Ground Black Pepper
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp. Extra- Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp. Fresh or bottled lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock (½ tsp.Spice Bouquet Chicken
- 3 tbsp. brined capers (bottled)
- Soup Base and ½ cup water)-or-1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 thin slices of fresh lemon
- 5 tbsp. Spice Bouquet Parsley Flakes or fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
Method of Preparation:
1. Season the cutlets with the salt and pepper
2. Dredge the cutlets in the flour and shake off excess flour
3. Heat a large frying pan or saute pan to medium high heat. Add 3 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil & 2 tbsp. of the butter.
4. When the oil & butter mix starts to sizzle, add the floured cutlets. Sear the cutlets for 3 minutes on one side until nicely browned. Then turn the cutlets over and sear that side for 3 minutes. Do not crowd the cutlets in the frying pan. If necessary cook the cutlets 2-3 cutlets at a time, adding 3 tablespoons of olive oil & 2 tbsp. of butter with each batch.
5. Remove the cutlets from the frying pan when each batch is done. Transfer the cutlets to an oven safe platter and hold in a pre-heated 180 degree oven, but – Do not clean the frying pan.
6. Add the lemon juice, the chicken stock or the dry white wine, and the capers to the frying pan. Bring the frying pan up to a boil, scraping the brown bits with a spatula from the pan for added flavor. Reduce the volume of the sauce by half.
7. Check the sauce for flavor and adjust as desired, e.g. a little more salt or pepper; a little more lemon juice, etc.
8. Add the chicken cutlets to the frying pan and place a lemon slice on each cutlet. Let the cutlets simmer in the sauce for 5 mins.
9. Remove the cutlets from the frying pan and place them on your serving platter.
10. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to the sauce in the frying pan and whisk vigorously. Pour the sauce over the cutlets and garnish with the parsley.
Serving Suggestions: Serve the Chicken Piccata with a serving of Farfalle Pasta and Sautéed Zucchini & Yellow Squash dish.
Yield: 4 servings
· 2-Zucchini cut into ¼” thick rounds
· 2-Yellow Squash cut into ¼ thick rounds
· 1-Cup Red Onion thinly sliced
· 3-Multi Colored Bell Peppers cut into bite sized pieces
· 3-tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 2-tbsp. Spice Bouquet Salad Seasoning, more or less to taste
Method or Preparation:
Wash, trim and cut all the vegetables into bite sized pieces. Bring a sauté pan to medium high temperature. Add the extra virgin olive oil. Place the cut vegetables into the hot pan and sprinkle the Spice Bouquet Salad Seasoning on them. Sauté the vegetables until tender, turning frequently for an even finish
Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin Roast with Gravy
· 3-4 lb. Pork Loin Roast
· 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 3 tbsp. Spice Bouquet Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
1. Pre-heat a large black cast iron frying pan on top of the stove to medium high heat. Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sear the pork roast to a golden brown on all sides. This will take 10-12 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. When the pork is nicely browned, remove the frying pan from the burner and coat the roast with a generous coating of the Spice Bouquet Jamaican Jerk Seasoning on all sides (top and bottom and ends).
2. Place the seasoned pork roast in the cast iron pan into the pre-heated oven. Roast the meat until you reach an internal temperature (check with meat thermometer) of 150-160 degrees. When you reach the 160 degree internal temperature, remove the pan from the oven.
3. Remove the roast from the frying pan and place it on a platter. Cover the roast with a sheet of aluminum foil and a towel and let the roast rest for at least 15 minutes. This will allow the final temperature to rise to about 160 degrees and will allow the juices to be better absorbed back into the roast.
1. The black cast iron frying pan should have a nice coating of caramelized fat and some liquid fat. Re-heat the frying pan to medium heat. Deglaze the frying pan with about ¼ cup of liquid. You can use water, chicken stock, white wine or apple juice. Then add about ¼ cup of flour to the deglazed pan. Mix the flour and pan liquids thoroughly and turn the heat down a bit. Cook the flour/liquid mixture until it is a golden brown color.
2. Add 2 cups of water and stir thoroughly, bringing the total mixture heat up towards the boiling point. Scrape the bottom of the pan while stirring to include the caramelized fats in the pan into the mixture.
3. Pour the mixture through a strainer into a metal, stove top pot. Place on a stove top burner on medium to medium high. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some Gravy Master or similar product to the gravy for color.
4. Stir the gravy mixture steadily until the gravy reaches the boiling point. Then take the pot off the burner. The gravy is ready to serve. Please remember that the gravy will not thicken until it reached the boiling point.
Note: If the gravy is flat tasting, add ¼ tsp. of Jamaican Jerk Seasoning to it. If it is still not just right, add a pinch of Spice Bouquet Sea Salt and a pinch of Spice Bouquet Ground Black Pepper. If you are not exactly there yet, add a little Spice Bouquet Steak Spice. That should do it. Remember- gravy making is a bit of art. Enjoy.
Yield: 8-10 Servings